Open Letter to Östgruppen för demokrati och mänskliga rättigheter (East-Group for Democracy and Human Rights)
Martin Uggla representing Östgruppen för demokrati och mänskliga rättigheter writes in Aftonbladet on May 2, 2016 that the documentary Ukraine - Masks of Revolution by Paul Moreira about the Odessa massacre is ”handling facts and sources” in such a way that he ”creates an image that does not correspond with reality.” Together with Maidan Norway and Ukrainian organizations your organization have launched an international campaign defaming the documentary. Maidan Norway stated when asked that they did not have the means to look into the facts and source material. Instead they stated that they had to trust others. You and Maidan Norway refer to an article authored by the journalist John Færseth and published in the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet. He oppose the claim by the documentary that there was a massacre taking place when a trade union building was put on fire by a Ukrainian-Nationalist mob causing the death of 42 pro-federalists on May 2, 2014. Instead he indicates that that ”a lot suggests that the main responsibility for the fatalities lies on the fire brigade” who arrived late at the scene of the fire.
1. Is you and your organization claiming that there is any moral excuses for the arsonists in Odessa on May 2, 2014 due to the argument that they had been provoked by the pro-federalists inside the building?
2. Did your organization handle the facts and sources making your own assessment to come to the conclusion that there was no massacre taking place in Odessa as the documentary claims before you started the international campaign together with Maidan Norway?
3. How did you arrive to a conclusion based on moral and factual arguments?
4. Maidan Norway refers to Ukranian sources that deny that a mass murder took place in Odessa May 2, 2014 to defend their role in initiating an international campaign against the documentary. Do you agree with their denial of a massacre?
5. What is the moral and rational judgement you make based on your own scrutinizing of facts and sources of who is to be made responsible for the death of 42 people when arsonists throw molotov cocktails into a trade union house in Odessa May 2, 20014?